01 January, 2011

Happy New Year, Parlement, Television and Accents

Happy New Year

My goal for 2011 is to celebrate my birthday (Nov 11th) under the Southern Cross.  We'll see what happens.

I received an e-mail from my friend Gil, of Sydney, this morning.  He was giving me career, visa and accent advice.  It was a good thing to read and my first e-mail of the new year.

It got me to thinking about our accents and how my kids might sound and respond to the speech of the Australians.  To measure, I found some Australian TV stations that stream on-line.  Hannah, James and Isaac (my fishing buddies) and I watched a fishing show on C31 (?) and they are now ready to get on the plane.  The host was catching snapper and my children were hooked.

I looked for some more kiddie-fare and found the Rubber Dubbers (which we watch here on public TV).  The kids didn't even realize the Rubber Dubbers had accents.  This is, I suppose, a good thing.  Though the accent on TV might be significantly different from the kid-in-the-street.

After the kids left me, I browsed around to some other channels and came across Question Time.  Oh, how I love parlement!  See the video here.

I have never watched Australian Question time, but have watched it from the BBC.  Love, love, love!  I don't know about the carpeting in the Australian senate, but in the British House of Lords there are two lines on the floor which the Lords may not cross.  The lines are about two sword lengths apart so that two debating members cannot cross blades.

And then I watched Kangaroo Boxing.  Not much difference really, if you turn the sound off.

Oh, and lastly - I found a new transplant blog called Audra's Australian Adventures.  I stayed up past midnight last night reading it.  Didn't realize it was midnight until someone started setting off fireworks.  Yeah, we're party animals here.

No comments:

Post a Comment